The UK has been welcoming international students to its universities and colleges for many years. In 2014, there were around 1.8 million full-time undergraduate students in higher education, of which over 400,000 were international students. Each year, more and more international students from over 180 different countries are choosing to pursue their higher education in a UK university or college.

Where can I Apply for Scholarships at UK Universities?

Many UK universities have a number of scholarships specifically designed for international students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. These are generally based on academic merit, but are also often means tested. However, there are usually very few scholarships compared to the number of international students, which means there is very strong competition for them.

Your country may also have student grants or special Career Development Loans which enable you to study internationally. To find out if your country offers these grants and loans it is best to check with your school advisor or careers counsellor in your home country.

There are also a number on national and international organisations that offer international students scholarships to study in the UK. The British Council is the most famous of these, though as shown below, there are other less well known scholarships too.

Working While Studying in United Kingdom

Websites For Jobs in United Kingdom

Students on courses of more than six months are usually given immigration conditions in their passport that allow them to work part-time up to 20 hours a week during term-time and full-time during vacations. If you have these conditions, you will not need permission from a job centre or individual permission from the Department for Work and Pensions. To meet UK immigration requirements, however, you must show that you can pay your course fees and living expenses without working in the UK (see the Immigration Rules on page 3), so you cannot therefore expect to finance your studies in this way. More information about working while studying in the UK is available at: Students on courses of six months or less are routinely given leave to enter the UK on visitor conditions, which prohibit employment. It is important to make the entry clearance officer (ECO) or immigration officer aware of your intention to undertake part-time employment and ask to be considered for entry as a student. But remember - you must show that you can pay for your course fees and living expenses without needing to work.

Bringing a Wife/Husband/Civil Partner and Children to the UK

You will usually be allowed to bring your wife/husband/civil partner and any children under 18 years of age to the UK, as long as you can show that you can support and accommodate them without seeking any recourse to public funds. You will also need to show the entry clearance officer (ECO) your marriage certificate and a birth certificate for each child. Your family will normally be given permission to stay in the UK for the same period as you.